Follow for more talkers

Animals

Beloved poodle rushed to vet after eating chocolate Easter egg

The Kennel Club has warned pet owners to keep chocolate and sweets away from animals as Easter weekend approaches.

Published

on
Buddy the dog. (The Kennel Club via SWNS)

By Ben Turner via SWNS

A beloved poodle who ate a chocolate Easter egg was rushed to vets with owners paying a £1,000 ($1,307) bill to keep their pet alive.

Buddy, three, fell critically ill after eating half the chocolate treat that is poisonous for dogs and was stowed away for festivities.

He soon started being sick with dark brown vomit and was rushed to a vet.

Buddy was put on a drip and held overnight before making a lucky recovery - though his owners had to foot a £1,000 vet bill.

The Kennel Club has warned pet owners to keep chocolate and sweets away from animals as Easter weekend approaches.

Buddy the dog. (The Kennel Club via SWNS)

Bill Lambert, a dog health expert at The Kennel Club, said: "We want to remind all owners to keep an extra careful eye on their four-legged friends.

"Our furry companions can sniff out even the best hidden chocolate eggs and non-canine friendly confectionaries, as these worrying new statistics show."

Vicky Wentworth, of Agria Pet Insurance, added: "Often with more chocolate around, plus school holidays and unusual routines, it can be all too easy for dogs to get hold of Easter eggs and boxes of chocolates.

"Never underestimate just how adept a determined dog can be at getting hold of a treat they like the smell of - we are always surprised by the lengths some dogs go to to get what they want!

"So please keep chocolate, or anything toxic to your pets, far from their reach."

Stories and infographics by ‘Talker Research’ are available to download & ready to use. Stories and videos by ‘Talker News’ are managed by SWNS. To license content for editorial or commercial use and to see the full scope of SWNS content, please email licensing@swns.com or submit an inquiry via our contact form.

Top Talkers