By Adam Dutton via SWNS
A nine-year-old girl with cerebral palsy was rushed to hospital with serious burns after being scalded with hot tea at Buckingham Palace.
Georgie Gibbs and her family had toured the staterooms and met the Queen's horses when they stopped for a snack in the royal garden café on Saturday afternoon (July 23).
Moments after sitting down at a table in the packed café, a full cup of scalding hot tea tipped over Georgie.
Georgie’s mom Clare, 48, said: “We sat down with our collection of cakes and drinks, suddenly Georgie started to scream and scream.
“It all happened so quickly and somehow the scalding hot tea had spilled onto her leg and was running down into the splint that she wears.
“The café was packed and we were at a small circular table at the front near where everyone was ordering.
“I can only assume that somehow Georgie’s wheelchair got budged and it knocked the table and caused the cup of tea to fall on her.
“The screams were horrific to hear and the whole cafe of tourists stopped in silence.
“We took the splints off as quickly as possible and I called immediately for iced water
to put over her legs, suddenly all the customers started pouring their cold drinks onto her legs to cool the burns while waiting for more cold water.”
Managers of the royal café called an ambulance and Georgie was rushed on blue lights to St Thomas’ Hospital where she was given morphine to ease the pain.
Georgie is currently on the waiting list to undergo surgery to have her hip sockets straightened to help her walk and had always wanted to visit Buckingham Palace.
Clare paid £142 ($171) to take history-loving Georgie for a tour of the palace and gardens along with her daughter Ella, 11, and partner Bruce Martin, 54.
Clare, from Worcester, UK, said: “Georgie is a Royal fanatic and loves the Queen so we took her to Buckingham Palace as a treat.
“She is having more surgery soon so we wanted to do something fun before the hard work begins because her rehabilitation is going to take some time.”
Clare is now warning parents of the dangers of having hot drinks around children and the importance of acting quickly in the event of an accident.
She added: “We were all in shock and had no time to think about what was actually happening.
“The staff of the cafe came quickly with crate after crate of canned iced cold water which is vital when there is a burn.
“Management arrived quickly and efficiently and called the ambulance as Georgie was in pain and shock, we could see the legs were starting to blister.
“The management were amazing, keeping me informed of all their actions and reassuring me that help was on its way.
“The ambulance crew immediately gave Georgie some morphine and administered special burns dressings to her legs.
“They advised they needed to get her to hospital quickly so we would be leaving from the back gardens of the palace, round the side and out through the front gates and would be escorted by palace officials.
Georgie suffered second-degree burns to her legs but the next day she and her family were invited back to the palace were they were “treated like royalty."
Clare, a former HR manager, said: “We had to be at the palace gates for 1.30pm and we
were told to drive into the front of the palace.
“We were all very excited about this as it felt really special and something good that
came out of a bad experience.
“We were escorted by palace management back to the garden cafe were we had afternoon tea but with cold drinks this time.
“The staff gave Georgie and Ella a Jubilee teddy bear and a corgi dog cuddly toy. We were all treated like royalty.”
A Royal Collection Trust spokesperson said: “The safety of our visitors is a top priority and we aim to train our staff to react quickly when first aid incidents occur.
“We are pleased that Georgie is doing well and wish her a full and speedy recovery.”
Stories and infographics by ‘Talker Research’ are available to download & ready to use. Stories and videos by ‘Talker News’ are managed by SWNS. To license content for editorial or commercial use and to see the full scope of SWNS content, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or submit an inquiry via our contact form.
NASA builds interactive map that lets people ‘hike’ Mars
The vast map encompasses the areas surrounding the landing site of NASA’s Mars 2020 Perseverance rover.
This fencer is still winning at 89
"I was 63 when I started, at a time of life when a lot of people put their feet up,...
Nearly 80% say the best part of their day is coming home to their pet
This story version has been formatted as an on-air script for broadcast outlets. See the original research story here. NEW...
Burmese pythons wreaking havoc in Florida
Researchers routinely find deer hooves and the remains of other big animals in their stomachs.
200-year-old tribal paddle discovered 10,000 miles from home
Experts believe whoever acquired the paddle 192 years ago may have been inspired by Captain Cook.
- Animals4 days ago
Massive 12-foot alligator captured in residential neighborhood
- Animals4 days ago
Great white shark fitted with GPS tracker draws self-portrait
- Food & Drink4 days ago
340-pound pumpkin so huge it needs a forklift to be weighed
- Health4 days ago
Virus similar to COVID-19 identified in Russian bat
- Travel4 days ago
World’s first real sheep-counting sleep vacation unveiled
- News3 days ago
Abortion providers share the deadly dangers of the job
- Art4 days ago
Cyclist creates GPS drawings of animals
- Nature16 hours ago
World’s largest collection of rare orchid discovered growing along military base